Monday, November 21, 2011
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
This week was "make your own GOOGLE logo" week. I like painting so I had to make one that covered that topic. I started with a real Google logo and made it all black with live paint and then I used the "paint inside" feature to draw a radial gradient inside of the letter. I did a little painting over it for fun with the blob brush and made some symbols for paint splatter to add at the end. I created the brushes and made them fit over the letters. Finally I added a drop shadow and called it good. I thought about using a tie die graphic I created and a clipping mask to make it show through the letters, but I settled on the paint idea instead.
Monday, October 31, 2011
The intent here was to create an icon for a device such as a phone or Ipad. I chose a cooking pot that might be used for a cooking application. This thing again used many layers to get the reflective qualities of both the pot and the button to show properly.
Friday, October 28, 2011
Here I was to create a two page spread for a children's book using Illustrator.
I used so many layers that I nearly go lost in it! I had to go in and rename them all so I knew what they were. I dried many different effects here to learn as much as possible.
Sunday, October 2, 2011
This week I made a card that would be torn out of a magazine if you wanted to subscribe. Shown are both the front and back of the card. This used gradients, patterns, draw inside, lines, effects, and lettering.
Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Saturday, May 14, 2011
For my final project for Illustrator, I had to draw a portrait. Here's my version of a self-portrait. I can't even count how many layers and sub-layers this took. It was so fun to make that I couldn't stop once I started. Finally at 6am I had to go to bed and tidy up some layers in the morning.
Friday, April 8, 2011
The assignment here was to make an icon like the ones you see on an IPhone or IPad. Rather than copy the pencil in the tutorial, I decided to make my own crayon in one of my favorite bright colors and see how it went. Here it is in 4 different resolutions. The big one was done in 512x512 pixels.
Tuesday, March 22, 2011
This project is in memory of my Grandmother, Ada, who was so excited that I was a computer science major since we were related to Ada Lovelace, who is credited with being the first computer programmer. The large image on the right is the difference machine. She also worked on the analytical engine. Some schematics of that are in the background along with her mathematical equations. I took so many images here and overlapped and blended them that I almost lost track. There were formulas, schematics, photos, drawings, and text. Desaturating and colorizing was fun. Trying to make the text flow and space properly was a bit of a challenge.
It took a while to find the "just right" old fashioned typewriter font.
Friday, February 18, 2011
Well, I completed my second illustrator drawing. This one was much more difficult. I could not figure out how to move the darn points once I drew them with the pen tool. I also had so many objects on so many layers that I think next time I will invent some method to my madness for organization. I spend half of my time looking up how to do things in the book or searching on the internet. Anyway, here it is: